Wednesday 10 July 2013

Random thoughts: "Inner Thigh Gap"


In High school I was part of our Varsity Cross Country team. This isn't really as impressive as it sounds, since there was no Junior Varsity team, so pretty much consistent participation meant you made the cut. But with that said, it wasn't like being part of the team was a cake walk. We all trained hard, running about 5-7km, 5 days a week, in 30C and ultra humid weather.

Anyways, on extra humid or rainy days, it wasn't uncommon for me to get some chaffing between my legs. During one practice I remember it was burning so badly, and with every step I could feel my shorts scratching at my open skin a little more. My coach saw my pained face and asked what was wrong, when I told her she replied with 'What? But you're not fat.'

This comment somehow ended up haunting me. Suddenly, my legs were fat.

In hindsight, this was ridiculous thinking. Her comment was ridiculous.

When I started blogilates I was thrilled when I saw a 'thigh gap' video. Before that I hadn't really seen any of the infamous thigh gap hype that's scattered all over the inter-webs, but momentarily I became obsessed. Luckily, this obsession was rather brief.

After some research I found out that this coveted 'thigh gap' wasn't a realistic achievement for many, and it depended a lot more on your bone structure than your weight. Having never been over-weight, and now exercising pretty consistently 6 days a week for 4 months, I know that a thigh gap will continue to elude me if I want to stay at a healthy weight (and probably even if I dropped down to an unhealthy one)

All of our bodies are different, and chaffing is definitely not an issue reserved only for 'fat' people!

This was a bit random, but it's a thought I've had rolling around in my head for a while so I thought I'd share in case it brought some clarity to anyone else out there :)

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment